Fried Green Tomatoes
This seasonal southern recipe for fried green tomatoes is from Amy Goldman.
The Martha Stewart Show, September Summer/Fall 2007
- 8 medium (about 3 1/2 pounds) green tomatoes
- 3 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 3/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 4 cups olive oil
- Aioli (http://www.marthastewart.com/281169/aioli), for serving
- Trim 1/2-inch from the stem and blossom ends of tomatoes. Slice tomatoes 1/4-inch thick. Season tomato slices with 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper; set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and milk; set aside. In a second shallow bowl, whisk together flour, 1/2-teaspoon salt, and 1/4-teaspoon pepper; set aside.
- Place panko in a shallow bowl along with cornmeal, remaining teaspoon salt, and 1/2-teaspoon pepper; stir to combine and set aside.
- Working with one tomato slice at a time, coat tomatoes with flour mixture, shaking off excess. Coat with egg mixture, followed by breadcrumb mixture. Transfer to a wire rack set over a parchment-lined baking sheet; repeat process with remaining slices.
- Heat 2 cups oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until it reaches 350 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. Working in batches, carefully place tomatoes into the heated oil in a single layer. Fry until golden, turning once, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Drain on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. After frying half of the tomato slices, discard oil and heat remaining 2 cups oil in skillet; continue frying remaining tomato slices. Serve tomatoes immediately with aioli.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.