Wild Rice Salad
This is a good addition to a buffet; the flavor develops as it stands at room temperature.
Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1995/1996
- 3 cups wild rice
- 4 blood oranges, or navel oranges
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 scallions, cut into 1/8-inch rounds
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- Cook wild rice in a large pot of salted boiling water until just tender, about 40 minutes. Drain in a colander.
- Meanwhile, cut away peel and pith from oranges; holding oranges over a bowl to catch the juice, remove segments from white membrane; place segments in the bowl.
- Combine vinegars, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and pepper in a bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil.
- In a large serving bowl, combine rice, scallions, dried cranberries, parsley, and orange sections and their juice. Drizzle vinaigrette over the salad, gently toss, season, and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.