- 2 cups wild rice, cooked according to package instructions, then drained and rinsed under cold water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 red apple, cored and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 celery stalk, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small carrot, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Place cooked rice in a medium bowl. Melt butter in a medium skillet. Saute apple with cloves, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer to bowl with rice.
- In same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium. Saute onion, celery, carrot, and garlic, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent and just beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Transfer to bowl with rice mixture; add currants. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add vinegars, lemon juice, and the water to skillet; heat, whisking, until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Drizzle over salad; toss to combine. Serve, garnished with almonds.
Toasting almonds enhances their flavor. Spread nuts evenly on a baking sheet, and toast in a 350-degree oven, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.