Tomato paste gives plain white rice a rusty hue to create this classic Latin side dish.
Everyday Food, June 2010
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan, heat vegetable oil over medium-high. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring
occasionally, until onion begins to
brown around edges, 6 minutes. Add
tomato paste and stir to
combine. Add long-grain white
low-sodium chicken broth
or water, and dried oregano;
season with coarse salt and ground
pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to
low, cover, and cook until liquid is
absorbed, 15 minutes. Remove pan from
heat and let rice sit, covered, 5 minutes.
Fluff with a fork and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.