- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
- 8 ounces pitted dates, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Toffee Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/262622/toffee-sauce)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour an 8-inch round cake pan; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine dates and 1/2 cup boiling water; set aside to soften, at least 10 minutes. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt to combine; set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy; add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add date mixture, flour mixture, and vanilla; mix just until moistened.
- Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare toffee sauce.
- Remove cake from oven; cool in pan 5 minutes. To ensure it will come out easily later, carefully invert hot cake then return it, right side up, to pan. Using a toothpick, poke holes all over cake. Pour about 1 cup warm sauce over cake; let absorb at least 20 minutes.
Cake can be soaked up to 10 hours ahead; leave in pan and store at room temperature.