Sticky Toffee Pudding
Martha Stewart Living Television
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 ounces chopped dates
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for ramekins
- 2 cups packed dark-brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Toffee Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/256812/toffee-sauce)
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter ten 4-ounce ramekins; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine dates, and 1 cup warm water. Simmer until most of the water is evaporated, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a small food processor, and process until smooth; keep warm.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Slowly add the eggs, and beat to combine. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add the flour mixture, and beat until fully combined.
- With machine running, add date purée, a little at a time, beating to combine after each addition. Divide evenly between prepared ramekins, filling each about three-quarters full. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature, slice off top, and discard. Cut in half horizontally, and layer with sauce. Serve immediately with ice cream, if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.