Emeril's Three-Cheese Baked Macaroni
Everyone loves old-fashioned macaroni and cheese, and this one comes together in no time flat.
Grating cheeses, whisking eggs and milk, and stirring everything
together are easy tasks that children will love doing. Hungry yet? No problem -- this dish bakes in just 12 minutes. The only hard part is letting it cool before digging in!
Everyday Food, October 2010
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Yield Serves 4 to 6
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
- 3 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 large eggs
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar (6 ounces)
- 1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan (1 ounce)
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook macaroni 6 minutes (it will be undercooked). Drain. Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over medium and add bacon. Cook until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon mixture to a medium bowl. Add macaroni and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and evaporated milk. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, cayenne, nutmeg, and cheeses; mix well. Add macaroni mixture and stir well to combine. Transfer to an 8- or 9-inch square baking dish or 2-quart gratin dish. With a spoon, gently spread mixture to form an even layer. Bake just until sauce is bubbling at edges, 12 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.