Romaine Salad with Prosciutto Crisps
The small inner leaves of romaine lettuce are tender and crisp, perfect for this salad. Use a vegetable peeler to shave the Pecorino Romano.
Photography: RICHARD GERHARD JUNG
Martha Stewart Living, April 2001
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for pan
- 4 slices (about 2 ounces) prosciutto
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, coarsely chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 ounces romaine hearts, leaves torn in half
- 1 ounce Pecorino Romano cheese, shaved
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly brush a rimmed baking sheet with olive oil, and arrange the prosciutto in a single layer. Place in the oven, and bake until crisp, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, and let cool on a wire rack.
- Combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and thyme in a bowl; season with salt and pepper, and whisk to combine. Add the romaine and shaved Pecorino Romano; toss to combine. Arrange on 4 plates; serve topped with the prosciutto crisps.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.