This delicious recipe for cranberry compote comes courtesy of chef Todd English.
Martha Stewart Living Television, October 2000
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 piece (1 inch) ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 2 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 2 cups cranberry juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add oil. Add onion and ginger, and cook for 1 minute. Stir in cranberries, orange juice, raisins, brandy, sugar, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, and red-wine vinegar. Cook until syrupy and reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- Add cranberry juice, cinnamon stick, nutmeg, cayenne, and salt. Simmer until thickened, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick, and set aside to cool.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.