Tres Leches Cake
Evaporated, condensed, and whole milk are combined in this cake for just the right amount of sweetness. Make the cake up to three days in advance and refrigerate it. It's traditionally served chilled and topped with whipped cream but is also delicious with chopped pineapple.
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 2 hours
- Serves 12
- Unsalted butter, room temperature, for baking dish
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can(12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. In a mixing bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy. In another bowl, beat egg whites to soft peaks. Using a rubber spatula, fold whites into yolks until almost combined. Gently fold in flour (do not overmix).
- Spread batter in prepared dish. Bake until golden and pulling away from sides of dish, 20 to 25 minutes. Using a small knife, scrape skin from top of cake; discard. Cool cake 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the three milks; pour evenly over cake. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
- To serve, prepare topping: In a mixing bowl, whip heavy cream with sugar to soft peaks. Chill cake and cut into squares; serve topped with whipped cream.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.