Braised Short Ribs
This recipe for braised short ribs is courtesy of Martha's personal chef, Pierre Schaedelin.
The Martha Stewart Show, November Fall 2007
- 5 medium carrots
- 4 flanken-style short ribs, cut into 3-rib pieces about 7 inches long (about 2 pounds each)
- 2 bottles (750 mL) red wine, such as Cabernet or Merlot
- 1/2 head of garlic
- 1 medium leek, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 2 ribs celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Homemade Beef Stock (http://www.marthastewart.com/258373/homemade-beef-stock), or canned store-bought low-sodium beef broth (optional)
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 small celeriac, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 turnips, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Cut 2 carrots crosswise into 1-inch pieces and add to a large bowl, along with short ribs, wine, garlic, leek, onion, and celery; toss to combine. Cover, and let marinate, refrigerated, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove meat from marinade and pat dry. Drain vegetables, reserving liquid; set aside.
- Season meat with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add short ribs; cook until browned on all sides,1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside; repeat process with remaining ribs. Add vegetables to Dutch oven and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Return meat to Dutch oven, along with liquid from marinade and enough beef stock or water to cover meat by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and transfer to oven. Cook until meat is tender, 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove meat from liquid and let cool slightly. Strain liquid into a large saucepan, pressing down on solids to remove any liquid; discard solids. Place liquid over medium-high heat and gently stir in chocolate until melted.
- Cut remaining 3 carrots into 1 1/2-inch pieces and add to saucepan, along with celeriac and turnips. Cook until vegetables are tender and sauce is thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove meat from bones; trim fat and discard. Add meat to liquid and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes more. Serve immediately garnished with parsley.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.