- Unsalted butter, room temperature, for dish
- 1 can (15 ounces) pure pumpkin puree
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup light-brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon anise seed, roughly chopped
- 10 ounces day-old bread, such as brioche or sourdough, cut into 1/2-inch slices or 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 cup homemade Dulce de Leche (http://www.marthastewart.com/285846/dulce-de-leche), or store-bought, warmed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 2-quart baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, milk, cream, eggs, brown sugar, salt, vanilla, cinnamon, and anise seed. Arrange bread in dish. Pour custard over bread and top with pecans. Bake until custard is set, 45 minutes. Let cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature, drizzled with dulce de leche.
To store, cover and refrigerate, up to 2 days.