Martha Stewart Living, December 2005
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 small white onion, finely grated
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup beer
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- <u>Pink Applesauce for Potato Latkes</u>, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
- Osetra caviar, for serving
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Grate potatoes in long strips, using smooth strokes to run potatoes across grater into a large bowl of ice water. Using a strainer or slotted spoon, transfer potatoes, reserving liquid, to another large bowl lined with a clean kitchen towel; gently squeeze dry.
- Set reserved liquid aside for 10 minutes to allow starch to sink to the bottom; carefully pour liquid from the bowl, reserving milky residue (potato starch) and discard. Transfer potatoes back to bowl with potato starch.
- Add onions to bowl; stir in eggs, beer, flour, salt, and pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels; set aside. In a heavy nonstick skillet, heat 1/4-inch of oil. Spoon 1/2 cup of potato mixture per pancake into skillet. Make a few at a time, being careful they don't run into each other.
- Fry on both sides until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to prepared baking sheet to drain. Keep warm in oven while preparing the others. Serve hot with applesauce, or sour cream and caviar, if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.