Serve these with a side of Caramel Applesauce and a dollop of sour cream.
Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1994/1995
- 2 (about 1 1/4 pounds) all-purpose or Yukon gold potatoes, peeled
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 medium white onion, finely grated
- 8 scallion greens, finely slivered
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Over a large bowl of cold water, grate potatoes into long strips, using the largest holes of a box grater. Transfer grated potatoes from water into another bowl. Pour off water from first bowl, reserving sediment. Add sediment to potatoes.
- Add eggs, onion, and scallion greens. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well by hand.
- Fill a large heavy-bottomed frying pan with 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch of oil until very hot, about 385 degrees.
- Drop 1 heaping tablespoonful of potato mixture into the pan. Cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes; the pan should hold five or six latkes per batch. Turn latkes over, and cook on the other side until golden brown, about another 3 minutes.
- Latkes can be transferred to a baking sheet and kept warm in a 200 degrees.oven for up to a half hour before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.