One-Pot Pasta with Broccoli Rabe and Bacon
Make this vegetarian by substituting 2 tablespoons olive oil for the bacon.
Everyday Food, November 2010
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound short pasta, such as fusilli or penne
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup walnut halves, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Grated Parmesan, for serving
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Add broccoli rabe 2 minutes before pasta is done cooking. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water and set aside; drain pasta mixture.
- Add bacon to pasta pot and cook over medium-high until some fat renders, 2 minutes. Add walnuts and cook until nuts are toasted and bacon is lightly browned and crisp, 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add pasta mixture; toss to combine, adding enough pasta water to create a thin sauce that coats pasta. To serve, sprinkle with Parmesan.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.