- 2 pounds boneless top loin roast, tied
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 medium butternut squash (2 pounds), peeled, halved, and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 3-inch lengths
- 1 small head red cabbage (about 1 pound), cored and cut into 8 wedges
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Season beef with salt and pepper and place, fat side up, in center of a shallow roasting pan. In a large bowl, toss squash, carrots, cabbage, and thyme with oil; season with salt and pepper. Scatter vegetables around beef.
- Roast until squash is tender when pierced with a knife and beef is medium-rare, 40 minutes. Tent beef loosely with foil and let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
Swap it: Peeled sweet potatoes can be used in place of the butternut squash.