Grilled Skirt Steak with Poblano Relish
Skirt steak is an economical, meaty cut, and pineapple is a natural tenderizer.
Everyday Food, June 2010
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak (about 1/2 inch thick), cut into 4 equal pieces
- 1/2 pound poblano chiles
- 1 small white onion, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for grill
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from about 3 limes)
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a large glass dish, combine pineapple juice and soy sauce. Add steak, turning to coat, and marinate at room temperature, 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat broiler, with rack in top position. Place poblanos and onion on a rimmed baking sheet and broil until charred, 7 to 10 minutes, flipping halfway through. When poblanos are cool enough to handle, rub with a paper towel to remove skins. Remove stems and seeds and discard. Roughly chop poblanos and onion and place in a medium bowl. Stir in oil, lime juice, and cilantro; season relish with salt and pepper.
- Heat a grill or grill pan to high. Clean and lightly oil hot grill. Remove steak from marinade, letting excess drip off. Grill steak 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare, flipping once. Transfer steak to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain. Serve steak with relish.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.