Gemelli ''Twin'' Pasta with Broccoli Rabe Pesto
Gemelli ("twins" in Italian) noodles resemble two thick strands of spaghetti twisted together -- use them in this pesto pasta recipe tonight.
The Martha Stewart Show, February 2010
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup coarse fresh bread crumbs
- 1 pound broccoli rabe
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus one tablespoon, divided
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemon peel
- 1 pound gemelli pasta
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- Pinch crushed red-pepper flakes
- In a medium skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add bread crumbs and cook, stirring until butter is absorbed and bread crumbs are toasted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Prepare and ice-water bath; set aside. Season boiling water generously with salt and return to a boil. Add broccoli rabe and cook until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Drain and transfer to water bath to cool. Cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces, separating leaves and florets from stems.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine broccoli rabe stems, 1/4 cup olive oil, Parmesan, pine nuts, lemon peel, and a pinch of salt. Pulse just until a smooth pesto is formed; set aside.
- Bring another large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Generously salt water and return to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes; drain, reserving 1/4 cup pasta cooking water.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat remaining tablespoon oil until hot. Add garlic, red-pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt; cook until garlic is soft and translucent, about 1 minute.
- Add broccoli rabe florets and leaves to skillet along with reserved pasta cooking water; cook, stirring, until broccoli rabe is warmed through. Add pasta and pesto to skillet; season with pepper and butter. Toss to combine. Serve immediately with toasted bread crumbs and Parmesan.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.