John's Almond Swiss Meringue Buttercream
John Baricelli, the manager of the prep kitchen at the television studio, came up with this twist on the traditional buttercream-adding a hint of almond-for Martha's birthday cake.
Martha Stewart Living Television
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- In the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer, combine egg whites and sugar. Set the bowl over a pan of simmering water. Whisk constantly until the sugar has dissolved and whites are hot to the touch, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer the bowl to the electric mixer. Using the whisk attachment, mix on low speed, gradually increasing to high speed, until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 10 minutes.
- With machine running on low speed, add butter to egg whites, beating until smooth. Add almond extract, and continue beating until incorporated.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.