Sauteed Broccoli With Lemon
Complement a feast of hearty dishes with a side of crisp broccoli dressed with lemon juice and olive oil.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 head broccoli (1 1/4 pounds), cut into florets, stems peeled and cut into 1/2-inch coins
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon (1 1/2 teaspoons zest; 3 tablespoons juice)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add shallots, and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add broccoli, and season with salt and pepper; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Stir in the water, and bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover, and simmer until broccoli is bright green and tender (it should offer little resistance when pierced with the tip of a paring knife), about 4 minutes. (All the liquid should have evaporated; if not, remove lid and continue cooking until dry.) Stir in lemon juice and half the zest.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Serve warm or at room temperature, drizzled with oil and sprinkled with remaining lemon zest.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.