Blue Smoke's Baked Beans
To Cook the Beans
- 1/2 pound dried cranberry beans
- 1/2 pound dried pinto beans
- 1/4 pound dried navy beans
- 1/4 pound dried northern beans
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 4 medium stalks celery, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 small onions, halved
- 4 dried bay leaves
- 8 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 teaspoons coarse salt
To Finish the Baked Beans
- 5 ounces bacon, diced
- 1 1/2 ounces guanciale (cured pork jowl), diced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 3/4 cups ketchup
- 1 1/2 cups bean-cooking liquid
- 1/2 cup dark-brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Magic Dust
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar (with chili pepper)
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Texas Pete's Hot Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Cook the beans: place each of the beans in a medium bowl. Add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Soak, refrigerated, overnight. Drain, and transfer each bean to a separated pot.
- To each pot, add enough water to cover beans by 2 inches. To each pot add, 1 carrot, 1 stalk celery, 1/2 onion, 1 bay leaf, and 2 sprigs parsley. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until tender, 1 to 2 hours, depending on the bean. Ten minutes before the beans are done, season each pot with 1 teaspoon of salt. Drain, reserving a total of 1 1/2 cups liquid. Discard vegetables and herbs. At this point the beans may be combined.
- Finish the baked beans: In a large stockpot over medium heat, combine the bacon and the guanciale. Cook, until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and peppers, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes more.
- Add the ketchup, bean-cooking liquid, sugar, Magic Dust, vinegar, molasses, mustard, salt, hot sauce, Tabasco, and smoked paprika. Bring to a boil. Add beans, and return to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.