Georges's Melon and Wild Strawberries with Sweet Wine
This recipe is brought to us by noted French author, restaurateur, and hotelier Georges Blanc.
Martha Stewart Living Television
- 2 ripe cavaillon melons
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 3/4 cup sweet muscatel wine, preferably Beaumes-de-Venise
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced basil leaves
- 1 cup small strawberries, quartered
- 1 cup raspberries
- Mint leaves, for garnish
- Using a stainless-steel knife, cut melons in half, creating a sawtooth edge. Scoop out seeds and stringy fibers. Using a melon baller, scoop flesh from melons. Place melon balls in a large bowl, and sprinkle with sugar. Add wine, lemon juice, and basil. Cover with plastic wrap, and transfer to refrigerator to macerate for 2 hours. Scrape remaining melon from shells until smooth, creating bowls. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Spoon macerated melon balls into shells. Top with strawberries and raspberries. Garnish with mint, and serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.