Enjoy this broth on its own, or mix and match with any extra ingredients or leftovers you have on hand for a quick, light meal.
Everyday Food, March 2010
- Total Time 15 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 scallions, white parts halved lengthwise and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces, green parts thinly sliced for garnish (optional)
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and peeled
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Stir-ins (optional), such as thinly sliced meat and vegetables, seafood, or noodles
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime or lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add scallion whites, ginger, and garlic; cook, stirring, until scallions begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add broth and fish sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook until flavors are blended, about 5 minutes. Add stir-ins (if using) and simmer until desired doneness. Add lime juice and garnish with scallion greens if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.