Hot and Spicy Leaf Wraps
These hors d'oeuvres, brought to us by chef and author Jeffrey Alford, are inspired by a traditional Lao recipe.
Martha Stewart Living
For the Sauce
- 1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
- 1/4 cup palm sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon black-rice vinegar
For the Filling
- 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch dice (3 tablespoons)
- 2 medium shallots, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1/4 cup)
- Dry-Roasted Grated Coconut (http://www.marthastewart.com/256384/dry-roasted-grated-coconut)
- 1/2 cup Dry-Roasted Peanuts Dry-Roasted Peanuts (http://www.marthastewart.com/281573/dry-roasted-peanuts)
- 1/2 cup small dried shrimp
- 1 lime, cut into tiny wedges or cubes (with the peel)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons minced Thai bird or serrano chiles
- 2 heads Bibb lettuce leaves, well washed and dried
- Make the sauce: In a medium bowl, combine fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, and vinegar. Stir to combine; set aside.
- Arrange the filling ingredients in attractive piles on a large platter. Place a platter or large bowl of the leaf lettuce nearby. Put out several bowls of the sauce. Allow guests to create their own bundles: Place a little coconut on a leaf, top with a pinch each of ginger, shallot, roasted peanuts, dried shrimp, lime, cilantro, and chile. Drizzle with sauce, roll into a bundle and eat immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.