Pineapple in Brown Sugar with Ice Cream
Choose a sweet-smelling pineapple that yields to gentle pressure but doesn't have soft spots.
Martha Stewart Living, January 1993
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 to 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- Melt butter in a medium saute pan over low heat. Add sugar and stir until melted. Add pineapple, rum, if desired, and vanilla, and turn heat up to medium high.
- Cook, stirring, until liquid is reduced and pineapple is glazed, about 15 minutes. Be careful not to burn.
- Serve in bowls with a scoop of ice cream.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.