Chocolate Black-Bottom Pie
Chocolate appears three times in this black-bottom pie: The crust is made of chocolate wafers, the filling is rum-flavored ganache topped with macadamia nuts, and the whipped cream topping is swirled with more chocolate.
Everyday Food, November 2010
- 3 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon spiced rum
- 1 Easy Press-In Pie Crust (http://www.marthastewart.com/285864/easy-press-in-pie-crust), made with chocolate wafers
- 1/2 cup toasted macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, microwave 1 1/4 cups cream until hot, about 3 minutes. Add chocolate and let stand until melted, 5 to 10 minutes. Whisk to combine, then whisk in rum. Pour 1 1/2 cups chocolate mixture into crust (reserve remaining chocolate mixture). Sprinkle nuts over top. Refrigerate pie 3 hours (or up to 2 days).
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat 2 cups cream with sugar on high until stiff peaks form, 2 minutes. Top pie with whipped cream, then dot with reserved chocolate mixture. With a skewer, gently swirl chocolate through whipped cream.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.