- Coarse salt
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 pounds ground dark-meat turkey or ground pork
- 3 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce
- 4 teaspoons hot-pepper sauce (preferably Sriracha)
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups salted water to a boil. Add rice, stir, and return to a boil. Cover, reduce to a simmer, and cook until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and top with carrot. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes, then stir in carrot and fluff rice with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine breadcrumbs and 3 tablespoons water. Let stand 5 minutes. Add turkey, scallion whites, cilantro, fish sauce, hot-pepper sauce, sugar, garlic, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Gently mix to combine and form into 12 meatballs.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high. In batches, brown meatballs on all sides, 10 minutes total (add up to 1 teaspoon oil as needed). Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and bake until cooked through, 10 minutes. Serve meatballs with rice, scallion greens, and lime wedges.
Freeze cooked meatballs in a single layer, then store in freezer bags, up to 3 months.