Whip up this deeply flavored main dish, or try one of the tasty mix-and-match ideas: Fennel and Apple Meatloaf, Spicy Butternut Squash Meatloaf, or Snow Pea-Sesame Meatloaf. For a lighter version, use ground turkey in place of pork.
Everyday Food, November 2010
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Serves 6
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced medium (3/4 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and diced medium (1 1/3 cups)
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced medium (1/2 cup)
- 1 3/4 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork or turkey
- 1 cup grated Manchego cheese (1 3/4 ounces)
- 1 to 2 slices white sandwich bread, diced medium (1 cup)
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, garlic, potatoes, and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and vegetables begin to brown, 5 minutes. Add paprika and thyme, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- In a large bowl, combine pork, cheese, bread, and egg. Add vegetable mixture and season with 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Using your hands, mix until ingredients are combined. Transfer to a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet; form into a 4-by-10-inch loaf. Bake until meatloaf is cooked through, 40 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through. Let rest 15 minutes before slicing.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.