Chopped Salad with Shrimp and Lime-Buttermilk Dressing
This recipe makes extra dressing; refrigerate it in an airtight container, up to 3 days.
Everyday Food, November 2010
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 10 minutes
- Yield Serves 6
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 1 teaspoon lime zest, plus 1/4 cup lime juice (from 2 limes)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 hearts romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds), toasted
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- In a blender, combine buttermilk, avocado, lime zest and juice, and 2 tablespoons water. Blend until smooth, 20 seconds. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Cook until opaque throughout, about 3 minutes, flipping once. In a large bowl, toss together romaine, pepitas, cilantro, shrimp, and 1 cup dressing until combined and serve immediately.
Swap it: You can substitute grilled chicken breast for the shrimp in this salad.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.