Oysters with Mignonette Gelee
Martha Stewart Living, December 2008
- 1 shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin (from one 1/4 ounce envelope)
- 1/4 cup water
- 36 oysters, scrubbed well and shucked, top shells removed
- Prepared horseradish, for serving
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Mix shallot, pepper, and vinegars in a small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over 1 tablespoon water in another bowl, and let soften, about 5 minutes.
- Heat remaining 3 tablespoons water in a small saucepan until steaming. Stir in gelatin mixture. Pour some of the hot liquid into the bowl that the gelatin was in, swirl around, and pour back into pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until gelatin dissolves. Pour through a sieve into vinegar mixture. Refrigerate until set, at least 3 hours (or overnight).
- To serve, spoon about 1/2 teaspoon gelee onto each oyster (amount may differ depending on the size of each oyster), and serve with horseradish and lemon wedges.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.