Grilled Flank Steak Tostada
Martha Stewart Living, May 1999
- 3 Vidalia or other sweet onions, peeled
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and diced
- 1 large clove garlic
- 2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/4 pounds flank steak, trimmed of excess fat
- 4 small zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch wedges
- 8 eight-inch flour tortillas
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, washed and cut into 1/8 -inch-wide slices
- 6 tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 4 radishes, sliced into paper-thin rounds
- 4 limes, halved
- Olive-oil, cooking spray
- Halve an onion crosswise, and place one half in the bowl of a food processor. Add jalapeno pepper, garlic, 1 cup cilantro, olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; puree about 1 minute. Cut remaining onions into 1/4-inch-thick rounds.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, coat flank steak, onions, and zucchini with cilantro puree. Cover; marinate at least 30 minutes.
- Place tortillas on baking sheets, two at a time, and place in oven until dry and golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. If baking two trays at a time, rotate halfway through baking. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Preheat a grill, or set a grill pan coated with olive-oil cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Place steak on grill; cook about 10 minutes. Turn and cook until medium rare, about 10 minutes more. Remove from heat; set aside. Place zucchini and onions on grill. Cook until tender and browned, 8 to 12 minutes; turn as needed.
- Thinly slice beef. Toss lettuce with 1/2 cup cilantro. Layer each tortilla with tomatoes, lettuce, zucchini, beef, onions, and radishes. Garnish with remaining 1/2 cup cilantro; squeeze half a lime over each tostada, and sprinkle each with a pinch of salt.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.