- 1 small head green cabbage, halved, cored, and very thinly sliced (8 cups)
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed, halved, cored, and very thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely grated (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 2 shallots, peeled and chopped (1/2 cup)
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- Toss cabbage, fennel, carrots, and salt in a large bowl.
- Toast fennel seeds in a medium saute pan over medium heat, shaking the pan occasionally, until seeds are fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add shallots and 1 tablespoon oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots begin to soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in vinegar and raisins. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 3 tablespoons oil.
- Pour warm dressing over vegetables, and toss well. Season with pepper, and let stand for 30 minutes. Just before serving, core apple, cut into matchsticks, and mix into slaw.
Add the apples right before serving, otherwise they will turn brown and lose their crunch.