Buckwheat Crepe Blinis
These buckwheat crepe blinis were inspired by Martha's trip to Russia.
The Martha Stewart Show
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon Clarified Butter (http://www.marthastewart.com/282414/clarified-butter), plus more for brushing pan
- Sour cream, drained, for serving
- Caviar, for serving
- Place both flours, milk, salt, eggs, and clarified butter in the jar of a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a mixing bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove batter from refrigerator. Heat a 6-inch crepe pan or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with clarified butter, and heat until very hot. Add a couple of tablespoons of batter, turning and swirling the batter in the pan to completely coat. Cook until brown on the bottom, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip crepe with a spatula, and cook until golden brown on the other side, about 1 minute. Repeat with remaining batter. As you continue, you will need to use less butter in the crepe pan.
- Serve crepes with sour cream and caviar.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.