Alexis's Chopped Vegetable Salad
This recipe, courtesy of Martha's daughter Alexis, takes full advantage of summer's availability of fresh vegetables. The trick is to cut all of the vegetables into similar-size pieces so that each forkful offers a mix of flavors.
Martha Stewart Living, September 2000
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more for water
- 2 fresh ears corn
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound wax beans, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and deveined, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and deveined, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and deveined, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare an ice bath; set aside. Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add corn, and blanch until tender, about 6 minutes. With tongs, remove from water, and plunge immediately into ice bath. When corn is thoroughly cooled, remove from ice bath. Using a large knife, remove kernels from cobs. Transfer kernels to a large bowl. Add green and wax beans to boiling water. Blanch until tender, about 1 minute. With a slotted spoon, remove from water, and plunge immediately into ice bath. When beans are thoroughly cooled, drain in colander.
- Add green and wax beans, tomatoes, red and yellow peppers, onion, cucumber, cilantro, and jalapeno to corn. Stir to combine. Add olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Adjust for seasoning. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.