Mario's Warm Chicken Salad
Mario Batali, chef and co-owner of acclaimed Italian restaurants Babbo and Po in New York City, created this recipe one day using only the ingredients he found in the Martha Stewart Living television-studio pantry.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2002
- 4 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken-breast halves
- 1/4 Anaheim chile, sliced diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium beet, cut into 1/8-inch rounds and julienned
- 1/8 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 medium carrot, cut into long thin strips
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 cups collard greens, sliced very thinly crosswise
- 2 cups mustard greens, trimmed
- 1/4 cup quince jam
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek
- 1/4 cup large Spanish olives
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add chicken breasts, skin side down. Cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil a second saute pan. Add chile and coriander; saute one minute. Add red onion, beets, mustard seeds, and salt, and cook for 1 minute. Add carrots and 1 tablespoon vinegar; season with pepper. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add collard greens to vegetable mixture, and cook until wilted, 3 to 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, toss mustard greens with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Pour vegetable mixture on top of the greens, and toss quickly, allowing the greens to wilt slightly. Divide among 2 plates.
- Add quince jam to chicken breasts, basting occasionally with melted jam. Season with salt and pepper. Add white wine, sambal oelek, the remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar, and 1 teaspoon oil; stir to combine. Simmer for 4 minutes. Add olives, and cook until just heated, about 30 seconds.
- Place a chicken breast on top of vegetables, and pour any pan juices over chicken. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.