Allergen-Free Cinnamon Toasties
Babycakes NYC is a bakery in New York City that specializes in allergen-free treats. Co-founder Erin McKenna shows Martha how to make cinnamon toasties that are free of wheat, gluten, dairy, nuts, casein, soy, and eggs.
The Martha Stewart Show, January Winter 2007
- 1/2 cup canola oil, plus more for pan
- 1 cup garbanzo and fava bean flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup arrowroot
- 1 1/4 cups unrefined sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup store-bought unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Brush a 6 3/4-by-4 1/4-by-2 3/4-inch loaf pan with oil; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, potato starch, arrowroot, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, xanthan gum, and 1 tablespoon cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, stir together oil, applesauce, and 1 cup hot water. Add oil mixture to flour mixture; stir until well combined. Measure out 1/3 cup of batter and place in a small bowl. Pour remaining batter into prepared loaf pan. Stir remaining 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon into reserved batter. Add to loaf pan, swirling to combine.
- Transfer to oven and bake about 20 minutes. Brush top of loaf with oil and continue baking until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack before unmolding.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.