This recipe for calamari salad is courtesy of Sal Scognamillo, the owner of Patsy's.
The Martha Stewart Show, December Holiday 2007
- 2 pounds calamari, cleaned and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch rings
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 ribs celery, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 20 gaeta or Kalamata olives, pitted
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Prepare an ice water-bath; set aside. Add calamari rings to boiling water and cook until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Immediately transfer calamari to ice water bath; let cool 15 to 30 minutes. Drain calamari and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together olive oil, lemon juice, celery, olives, garlic, and basil. Add calamari and toss until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.