Horseradish Whipped Potatoes
Instead of serving this Herb-Crusted Standing Rib Roast with horseradish cream, horseradish gets mixed into mashed potatoes for a piquant holiday side dish.
Everyday Food, December 2010
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 50 minutes
- Yield Serves 8
- 4 1/2 pounds russet potatoes (about 7), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup prepared horseradish
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In a large pot, bring potatoes to a boil in salted water over high, then reduce to a rapid simmer and cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, about 15 minutes. Drain and return potatoes to pot. With a potato masher, mash until potatoes are fluffy and free of large lumps. (For a smoother texture, pass potatoes through a ricer or food mill into pot.)
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat cream, milk, and butter over medium-low until butter melts. Slowly pour cream mixture into potatoes, stirring until combined. Whisk in horseradish to taste and sour cream, and season with salt and pepper.
To store, let cool, then refrigerate in an airtight container, up to 1 day. Reheat in oven or on stovetop.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.