Slow-Cooker Pear and Apple Butter
Place this spread in decorative jars for gifts, but save some for yourself -- it's great on toast or pancakes.
Everyday Food, December 2010
- 2 1/2 pounds Bartlett or Anjou pears (about 5)
- 2 1/2 pounds McIntosh or Gala apples (about 5)
- 1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Peel, quarter, and core pears and apples. In a food processor, finely grate fruit (in batches if necessary), then transfer to a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in dark-brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon stick. Cover and cook on high, 4 hours.
- Remove cinnamon stick and reserve. Transfer mixture to processor (in batches if necessary) and process until smooth. Return to slow cooker, along with cinnamon stick, and cook on high, uncovered, until mixture is thick and browned, 4 hours. Discard cinnamon stick and let mixture cool. Transfer to airtight containers and refrigerate, up to 3 weeks, or freeze, up to 3 months.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.