Sprouted Moong Dal Salad
Try this salad recipe from Martha's niece, Sophie Herbert, for a tasty way to replenish nutrients after yoga or any type of exercise.
The Martha Stewart Show, January 2010
- 3/4 cup moong dal
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 small red onion or cucumber, chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup pitted, peeled, and chopped ripe mango
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (optional)
- 2 jalapeno chiles, halved, stem and seeds removed, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chat masala
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Indian pickles, such as ginger, mango, or lemon
- Chapati (http://www.marthastewart.com/257756/chapati), for serving
- Ghee (http://www.marthastewart.com/263057/ghee), for serving
- Place moong dal in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet; add enough water just to cover. Let stand in a warm place until sprouted, about 18 hours.
- Drain sprouted moong dal and rinse well. Pick out any moong dal that have not sprouted and discard. Add sprouted moong dal to a large bowl, along with tomato, onion or cucumber, mango, coconut, and chiles. Season with chat masala, salt, coriander leaves, and lemon juice. Toss until well combined.
- Serve salad with Indian pickles, chapati, and ghee.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.