Avgolemono (Greek Egg and Lemon Soup)
The name of this classic soup comes from its two main ingredients: egg (avgo)and lemon juice (lemoni).
Martha Stewart Living, April 1996
- 8 cups Homemade Chicken Stock Homemade Chicken Stock (http://www.marthastewart.com/261561/homemade-chicken-stock), or canned low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 2 cups uncooked orzo, (rice-shaped pasta)
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice, (4 lemons)
- In a large saucepan, bring 6 cups stock to a boil. Add orzo; cook until al dente, 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 1/2 cup water. Heat remaining 2 cups stock until hot; do not boil.
- In an electric mixer, beat eggs with whisk until fluffy; add cornstarch mixture and lemon juice. With mixer on medium-low speed, slowly add 1 to 2 cups hot stock until incorporated and mixture thickens slightly. Add any remaining stock to orzo.
- Over low heat, slowly add egg mixture to orzo, stirring constantly until thickened and creamy. Do not let it come to a boil; eggs will curdle. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.