Mom's Currant Cake
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, or half and half
- 1 heaping tablespoon molasses
- 12 tablespoons room temperature (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 3/4 cup Demerara sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups currants
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Butter a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the cream over medium heat. Stir in molasses. In a medium bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add the sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating to combine after each addition. Stir in the cream mixture, then the currants. Add the dry ingredients and beat to combine.
- Pour into prepared pan, and bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.