Stirring will prevent the candy from burning. It can be stored in an airtight container for up to one week.
Holiday Cookies 2005, Special Issue Holiday 2005
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 1 pound grated fresh coconut or unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Stir together remaining ingredients in a large saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring almost constantly, until mixture thickens and forms a cohesive mass, about 30 minutes.
- Pour mixture onto prepared sheet. With an offset spatula, spread 1/2 inch thick; shape into a 12-by-13-inch rectangle. Let cool completely, then cut into 1 1/2-by-2-inch rectangles.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.