Turnip and Potato Mash
Serve this peppery replacement for mashed potatoes alongside seared steak.
Everyday Food, December 2010
- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 6
- 1 pound turnips (about 2 medium), peeled and diced large
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and diced large
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- In a medium saucepan, bring turnips, potatoes, and bay leaf to a boil in salted water over high; cook until vegetables are tender when pierced with a knife, 20 minutes. Drain, discard bay leaf, and return vegetables to pan. Add sour cream and butter, and mash until mostly smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.