Appearing to be classically fried French fries, these fries are actually baked in the oven. The potato strips are tossed in just 4 teaspoons of oil. Serve them in parchment paper cones for a fun bistro-style presentation at your next game-day party.
Everyday Food, January/February 2011
- 3 pounds russet potatoes (about 6 large), cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a large bowl, cover potatoes with water by 2 inches. Refrigerate at least 3 hours (or up to overnight).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Lightly coat two rimmed baking sheets with cooking spray. Drain potatoes and pat dry; wipe out bowl. Toss potatoes in bowl with oil and season with salt and pepper. Divide potatoes between sheets and arrange in a single layer. Bake until golden and crisp, 45 minutes. Toss potatoes and rotate sheets. Bake 15 minutes more.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.