Marijane's Rhubarb Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for baking dish
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a liquid measuring cup, combine buttermilk and vanilla; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer or using a handheld mixer, beat butter with 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, and beat to combine. Add the flour mixture, alternating with the buttermilk mixture, and starting and ending with the flour mixture. Stir in rhubarb.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared baking dish. In a small bowl, stir together remaining 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar evenly over batter. Bake until a cake tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack in pan for 30 minutes before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.