Quickest Tomato Sauce
This tomato sauce can be used in Jamie Oliver's Calzone recipe. Photograph by David Loftus.
The Martha Stewart Show, November Fall 2008
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch fresh basil, leaves only, torn
- 3 (14-ounce) cans whole plum tomatoes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until garlic begins to brown lightly. Add basil and tomatoes, breaking up tomatoes with the back of a spoon; season with salt and pepper.
- Bring sauce to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Strain sauce through a coarse mesh sieve into a large bowl, pressing down on solids. Discard solids.
- Return sauce to skillet. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce heat to a simmer. Let simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Use immediately or keep refrigerated, up to 1 week.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.