Stanley's Beef Carpaccio With Green Papaya Salad
Chef Stanley Wong of TanDa restaurant in New York City finds it easier to freeze the beef tenderloin before slicing it.
Martha Stewart Living Television
- 8 ounces beef tenderloin
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon short-grain rice
- Stanley's Green Papaya Salad (http://www.marthastewart.com/255944/stanleys-green-papaya-salad)
- Season beef tenderloin evenly with pepper. In a medium cast-iron skillet, heat vegetable oil over high heat. Add beef tenderloin, and sear 1 minute on each side. Remove from skillet, and bring to room temperature. Wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze for 2 hours.
- In a small dry skillet, toast rice until golden brown. Transfer to a spice grinder, and grind to a fine powder; set aside.
- Using a very sharp knife, slice beef crosswise as thinly as possible. Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with rice powder. Serve with green papaya salad.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.