Tikka Masala Paste
Use this traditional Indian paste to make chef Jamie Oliver's Chicken Tikka Masala.
Photo credit: David Loftus and Chris Terry
The Martha Stewart Show, December 2009
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 (2-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 fresh red chiles
- 1 small bunch cilantro
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- In a dry skillet, toast cumin and coriander seeds until fragrant. Transfer to a mortar and grind using a pestle until finely ground. Transfer to the bowl of a small food processor, along with ginger, salt, oil, tomato paste, chiles, cilantro, coconut, and almond flour; process until a smooth paste is formed.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.