This recipe is courtesy of Gerry DiSanto.
- Yield Makes about 6 dozen
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or anise extract
- 1 box (16 ounces) confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Coarse sanding sugar, for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. On medium speed, add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla; beat until incorporated. With mixer on, gradually add flour mixture; beat until dough comes together.
- Scoop dough into tablespoon-size balls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment or a nonstick baking mat. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, stir together confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons water. Place wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Once cookies have cooled, top with icing. Sprinkle with sugar, and let stand until icing is firm.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.